An Open Letter to the Registrar Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

An Open Letter to the Registrar Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

An Open Letter to the Registrar Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.

31/3/2020

Sir/Madam,

NURSING PROFESSION DESERVES MORE IN NIGERIA

Nursing as a profession has passed through many philosophical eras, the recognition accorded to nursing by the society implies that nurses have made unique and essential contributions to the society. Nurses have to view their care with this background in order to be able to confront the multiple and complex problems they have to face within the society.

However, these cannot be achieved if nurses are viewed by the government as a mediocre profession that risk lives of professional nurses without adequate remuneration.

Right from the beginning of the year 2020, it was tagged with a slogan ' the year of a professional nurse' which I view as a call for nurses to stay awake and speak out to the government to satisfy nursing profession with their remuneration demands. The corona virus pandemic is a stimulant that will enhance government compliance if Nurses unite with one voice to set standards and expect compliance.

Nurses in Nigeria are not valued and paid to compensate the hazardous physical and psychosocial working conditions they are exposed to. If Government view nursing services as slavery rather than an important vocational call to save lives, there is need for prompt intervention.

Considering the global corona virus pandemic, almost all workers are absented from work due to fear of contracting the deadly virus, but nurses are left in public and private health facilities to work 24 hours in a day without protective equipment. moreover, these nurses are not paid well for such life sacrifices. I consider the act as deliberate act to ruin the lives of nurses in Nigeria.

My eyes flow with rivers of tears as I saw the proposed N140,000 pay for nurses who wish to volunteer for treating corona virus infected patients in Nigeria. Infact after knowing that the safety of nurses caring for these patients is questionable, who will want to risk her life for such a minute pay? Why can't you pay nurses a reasonable amount for risking their lives to save lives? Knowing that its the same blood that flow in nurses veins that circulate your system.

This is the right time for Nigerian nurses to set standards and expect compliance, now that politicians who failed the Nigerian health sector are involved without an option to travel overseas for treatment. Now that their social status and financial background cannot access foreign health care. It is the right time to hold the government without any breathing space to satisfy the demands of nurses so far as remuneration is concerned. This is the right time for the government to pay the price for its rejection on nurses nationwide.

2020 corona virus pandemic is actually the year of nurses to point out government negligence to the profession, set standards and expect compliance with immediate effect. if the standard are not met, nurses should be absented from Covid 19 care nationwide.

I therefore urge the registrar of Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria and his Board members to harmonize efforts with National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (NANNM) to enact standards about increasing remuneration rates of nurses and other work related demands and further present them to the federal government of Nigeria and expect immediate compliance.

If this is not done, nurses are not willing to volunteer for any Covid 19 intervention.

Yours faithfully,

RN Asaaoron Elijah Kumawuese.
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
boardgamesaz
Reactions:
Years of practice: 6

Re: An Open Letter to the Registrar Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria

Unread post by boardgamesaz »

Thanks for the sharing. This is my first time visiting your blog. Really I like your Blog. Keep doing more like this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic