How much vaginal discharge is normal?

Forum rules
The information contained on this web site is for information purposes and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease.
Winalite
Reactions:
Years of practice: 30

Unread post by Winalite »

Vaginal Discharge
Once you start puberty, you may start to find a white or clear fluid or mucus on your panties. Don't worry! This is completely healthy and normal part of growing up.

I remember when I first got it, I was thinking.. what is this :(??? and I asked my mom and she just said "Oh it's normal" and that's all the explanation I got until the random puberty class was taught in school...like two years later. Back then, internet access was scarce so I couldn't just google my symptoms. But now internet is everywhere! And that's probably how you found this page! Yay!

What is vaginal discharge?
Vaginal discharge is the mucus or fluid that excretes from your vagina. This discharge is the result of your vagina cleaning and regulating itself. Yes, your vagina has a self cleaning mechanism! Pretty cool right?

What does vaginal discharge look like?
Vaginal discharge can vary in color and texture. It is a clear, white, or off-white colour and can be of a thin, thick, gooey, or jelly texture. It dries to a crusty white texture. Mine is tinted brownish color when I am nearing the start or end of my period.

Sometimes you can feel it come out of you and when you look right away, it just looks like a wet spot on your panties.

What does vaginal discharge smell like?
Vaginal discharge has a slight smell. It's nothing too overpowering or stinky and you won't be able to smell it unless you hold your panties to your nose. If your vaginal discharge has a strong odor, you should consult your family doctor.

When does vaginal discharge happen?
You will first get vaginal discharge when you start puberty and you will continue to have vaginal discharge for the rest of your life.

It happens all throughout the day as your vagina is pretty much always keeping itself clean.

How much discharge really depends. It is different for every girl and it also depends where you are in your cycle. Usually it will just be a spot on your panties.

You will experience the most discharge when you are ovulating. On an average 28 day cycle, this is around day 14. At this time, you will notice your discharge become thicker and heavier. This is because during ovulation, you can become pregnant. With a thicker and heavier discharge, this ensures only the best sperm gets past to fertilize the egg.

Why do my panties seem to get bleached by my vaginal discharge?
If you wear colored cotton panties, you may notice that the color at the crotch area begins to fade or looks like it's getting bleached. This is because vaginal discharge is naturally acidic and that's enough to make the colors on your panties fade. It's completely normal :).

Random Fact: Semen is basic.

What can you do about it?
You can wear pantiliners which are worn just like pads except they offer a much lighter protection and are suitable to be worn on a daily basis. This will protect your panties and also throughout the day you can change the pantiliner to freshen up.

Although the vagina is self cleaning, the outside of your vagina, your vaginal lips and crotch area is not so it's important to shower or bathe on a daily basis.

Okay I think that is all you need to know about vaginal discharge! Questions? Comments?